Beta Security Release v0.29.2
Dan Brown posted on the 2nd of May 2020
Over the last few days some vulnerabilities in the comment system have been identified, which BookStack v0.29.2 looks to address.
Be sure to run
php artisan bookstack:regenerate-comment-content after upgrading if you think your instance may be impacted by this vulnerability.
This most impacts scenarios where not-trusted users are given permission to create comments.
The issue was addressed in BookStack v0.29.2.
After upgrading, The command
php artisan bookstack:regenerate-comment-content should be ran to remove any pre-existing dangerous content.
Comments can be disabled in the system settings to prevent them being shown to users. Alternatively, comment creation permissions can be altered as required to only those who are trusted but this will not address existing exploitation of this vulnerability.
- Thanks to Kenichi Okuno of Mitsui Bussan Secure Directions, Inc for the discovery and reporting of this vulnerability.
- Thanks to JPCERT/CC for coordinating the reporting of the issue.
If you have any questions or comments about this advisory:
- Open an issue in the BookStack GitHub repository.
- Ask on the BookStack Discord chat.
- Follow the BookStack Security Advice to contact someone privately.
Header Image Credits: Mackenzie Marco